Wednesday 11 May 2011

Windows Media Center (v3)

With version 3, the idea was to create a remote that, for at least the direction buttons, they would be easy to find without looking at the screen. Of course this is made more difficult because it's a touch screen, not a real remote with physical tactile buttons. The direction buttons are in the corner, and are sized based on the movement of my thumb.

The controls are placed in an arc, accessible using an outstretched thumb. This makes the remote very right-handed, but was essential with my specification in mind. Sorry for the remaining 15% of the population - if you can't cope with the new one, version 2 is still in the gallery :)

I now have a close button, which closes Media Center and the remote at the same time. I included this button so that you can successfully close the program. If you tried it using my previous remote's arrow keys, pressing another button on the remote will start Media Center again.

If you have any comments, suggestions, or downright abuse for me, please feel free to leave a comment. Thanks :)

clip_image001

This remote has now been superseded by version 4.

2 comments:

  1. I have been using this remote skin for Media Center for such a long time. It works great. However, I was wondering if it was possible to script in the mouse scroll wheel up & down as swipe gestures into the XML. This would be great to use while flipping through movie covers or album art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOOO I have a comment! :D

      Cheers Scotty! Great idea too - I'm not aware of gestures being possible, but I'm not an expert at this, so I'll look into it.
      My plan for Media Center v4 is to separate the navigation buttons and play/skip etc. onto separate screens so I can make all the buttons bigger and it will all look less cluttered. I don't have any sort of timeframe for this though :/

      Delete